Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Cultural Identity Issues

By Anne Golden, Director,
XU Intercultural Communication Group

When preparing to work in a foreign country, there are many things you can plan: you can organize your visa, arrange for accommodations and transportation, and even research the geography of the place you will be living.

However, you are not only traveling to a new land, you are also entering a completely different cultural and psychological terrain. And while many are familiar with the term "culture shock," few realize the loss of identity that can accompany a long-term stay abroad, especially in the workplace.

When companies transfer employees internationally, there's a great deal of focus on the physical aspects of the move. But what about the mental and emotional aspects? What kind of shift is necessary to successfully navigate - or even just survive - in the new environment?

In my mid-20s, I was hired to work in a Japanese high school as its only "gaijin," or outsider. In addition to traditional teaching duties, I was expected to provide the school with an authentic, international presence. I was a walking diversity initiative. But would my assertive "made-in-Maine" personality go over well in rural Japan?

I arrived on the job fresh from graduate school, after thriving in an environment where professionals -- even young, female ones -- were expected to voice their opinions on every topic under the sun. Professors (and later, supervisors) told me they appreciated my direct way of communicating. I had learned that it was smart to assert myself.

I had also read, however, that to gain respect in Japanese culture, I needed to be a lot less direct, and err on the side of being ridiculously polite. Theoretically, I knew what to do ... but I was surprised by the way it made me feel.

One day, when I needed some supplies, I took considerable time to construct an extremely polite request and approached the secretary meekly and humbly. Apparently it worked; I was praised for my modesty.

However, though I was happy to have succeeded, I felt awkward about being rewarded for timidity -- was I an independent New Englander, or a demure Southern Belle? This new way of being, though it was effective in that context, caused me stress. With limited Japanese skills, and few mentors to advise me, it was difficult to adjust my communication style and still feel like it was my own voice. However, if you are to succeed and grow in your work abroad, it is critical to do just that -- both for your career and for your own peace of mind.

Today, 10 years after returning from Japan, one of the most satisfying parts of my job is having the opportunity to help others overcome the challenges that come with working abroad. My mission? To help you be an excellent and effective communicator in your work environment, and still be yourself.



No comments: